Amazon Echo App
Connecting your Hubitat Elevation™ to your Amazon Echo or Alexa compatible device is an easy way to add voice control to your home automations. Using the Hubitat Amazon Echo App allows you to control switches and dimmers. You will need to own an Amazon Echo or an Alexa compatible device. The Amazon Echo App works by emulating a Phillips Hue bridge, and so it does not require the installation of a Skill in your Alexa app.
Adding the Amazon Echo App to Hubitat Elevation™
If you are in a country were the Alexa Hubitat Skill is not available, then you must use Amazon Echo App to control devices by voice. If you're not sure if the Alexa Hubitat Skill is available in your country, follow steps 1-4 of the Activating the Hubitat Skill for Alexa section of the Amazon Echo Skill document. If available, you should use the Amazon Echo Skill rather than the Amazon Echo App, as it offers more features, and supports more device types. If the Alexa Hubitat Skill is in fact not yet available in your country, you will need to install the Hubitat Amazon Echo App instead. You can only have either the Amazon Echo App or the Amazon Echo Skill installed at one time on your hub. You must remove the one you will not be using.
- From the Hubitat Web Interface select Apps
- Choose the Amazon Echo App from the list of Hubitat Elevation™ Built-In Apps
- Select the devices you want Alexa to have access to.
Discovering your devices on Alexa
- From the Alexa app or the Alexa web portal, you must manually initiate device discovery for the Amazon Echo App devices to be found for use by Alexa. Start by tapping the devices icon at the lower right.
- Tap the + at the top right to add a new device type
- Tap Add Device
- Scroll down and tap Other device type
- Select the DISCOVER DEVICES button
- Alexa will now attempt to discover your Hubitat Elevation™ devices. If all the devices you selected in the Amazon Echo App for discovery by Alexa are not found, try again. If you are still unable to discover devices on Alexa, contact Hubitat support.