Registration and setup (mid-2022 and later)
Thank you for purchasing Hubitat Elevation. Before you can begin creating home automation that is local, reliable, fast and private, you'll need to complete a few simple setup and registration steps.
Getting to know Hubitat Elevation®
Your kit includes the following:
- The Hubitat Elevation hub with integrated Zigbee and Z-Wave radios to communicate with your devices.
- User manual
- Micro USB cable
- 5v power adapter
- Ethernet cable
Connect your hub
Let's get started by finding a location that is suitable for the best experience possible.
- Your new Hubitat Elevation hub uses Zigbee and Z-Wave technology to communicate with compatible smart home devices. These radio signals can be blocked or weakened by building materials and large metal objects.
- For optimal performance, choose a location as close to the center of your home as possible, and free from metal obstructions.
- NOTE: The wireless radios in your Hubitat Elevation hub use Zigbee and Z-Wave mesh technology to relay the signal between devices. To further improve the performance, signal repeaters are strongly recommended. You should avoid using Zigbee lightbulbs to repeat signals, since their performance for that task is poor among anything but another lightbulb, and will result in an unstable Zigbee radio mesh for your other Zigbee devices.
- See the How to Build a Solid Zigbee Mesh and How to Build a Solid Z-Wave Mesh documents for further details.
- Insert the included Ethernet cable into your Hubitat Elevation®
- WARNING! Your Hubitat Elevation hub DOES NOT support PoE (Power over Ethernet). Attaching your hub to a PoE port may cause permanent damage and void the warranty.
- The other end of the Ethernet cable plugs into an available LAN port on your personal router or modem/router combination device provided by your Internet Service Provider. NOTE: PoE ports are not supported. See warning in step 1.
- If there are no available Ethernet ports on your router, attach a network switch to your router and plug the other end of the included Ethernet cable into the network switch. Alternatively, you can use the Networking settings to add a compatible WiFI adapter to your hub (not included with the hub).
- NOTE: The Networking settings are available on Model C-5 and Model C-7 hubs only
- Insert the included micro USB cable into your Hubitat Elevation hub and connect the other end to the cable to the included power adapter.
- Plug in your hub to begin the boot process.
- Note: The light on your hub will glow Blue during boot up, and remain that way until the hub has fully booted. Once your hub has finished booting, the light will glow Green when it is ready for operation.
Reserve an IP address
- it is important that you reserve an IP address for your hub in the DHCP reservation settings of your router. See your router manufacturer instructions to learn how.
- Reserving an IP address in your router will ensure you are always able to access your hub from the same IP address, and other connected devices on your network will be able to always find your hub.
- Alternatively, you may specify a static IP address using the Static IP Manager app.
- NOTE: The Static IP Manager app is compatible with Model C-5 and Model C-7 hubs only
Register your hub
- Visit findmyhub.hubitat.com from your web browser to automatically search for your Hubitat Elevation hub on your local network. Your hub should appear in the list of hubs with the name My New Hub. (Alternatively, scan the QR code or visit getstarted.hubitat.com and follow the instructions presented there.)
- NOTE: Microsoft Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge browser (prior to the Chromium version) are not supported. Google Chrome is recommended for the best experience, but Firefox may also be used. If you experience issues with a supported browser, please try disabling third-party browser extensions.
- IMPORTANT! Your computer or mobile device must be on the same Local Area Network as your hub in order to register. If your hub does not appear, ensure you have your hub and computer or mobile device connected to the same router and network. Also make certain and they are not isolated by a WiFi guest account. If your hub still doesn't appear, press the Advanced Discovery button to find hubs via mDNS, MAC address or LAN scan.
- Select the Connect to Hub button.
- Select the Get Started button. NOTE: If your Get Started page does not look like the below (it will have an all-green background instead), your hub is probably running older firmware and you should follow the steps in this document instead: Registration and Setup (pre-2.3.1)
- Next you will be taken to the Terms of Service page. You must check the box for the Continue button to appear. (NOTE: Some users may see an "Update hub firmware" page after completing this step, in which case you should select Update Now to ensure your hub is on the latest firmware, wait for the update to complete, then proceed with the next step.)
- Give your hub a name by its location, or a custom name of your choosing.
- Enter your postal code if you are in the US, UK, or Canada; otherwise select the "I'm not in the US/UK/Canada" link to set your location and time zone manually. Entering your correct location will allow the hub to calculate the sunrise and sunset times for your location, which will enable scheduled automations to run when expected. Then, select Continue.
- Create a Hubitat account by entering your e-mail address, selecting Create an account, and following the prompts. Creating an account will enable to use the Hubitat mobile app and other cloud features. (Note: if you do not receive the confirmation code in your e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam folders.) Alternatively, if this not your first Hubitat hub or you have already created an account, select the link to log in instead.
- You're almost done! You should now be redirected to the hub interface with the option to add your first device. Select Find by device type or Find by brand and follow the prompts to add your first Z-Wave or Zigbee device. Alternatively, select Skip this step to go directly to the hub interface. You can add devices later under Devices in the left-side menu.
- You will now be redirected to the Main Menu of your hub. Be sure to note the IP address in your browser address bar. This is a fast way to access the Web Interface of your hub. For an even faster and more convenient connection to Hubitat Elevation, we recommend bookmarking the hub address in your web browser. (Note that if you did not reserve an address as suggested above, this may occasionally change.) You can also use findmyhub.hubitat.com to locate your hub again later if needed.
Congratulations! You have completed the initial setup of your new Hubitat Elevation hub. You can now begin adding devices to your hub, installing apps and Elevate your environment with automations.
- See Discovering your Devices to learn how to add wireless Zigbee and Z-Wave radio devices to your hub.
How to register later
If you skipped registration during intial setup (as described above), it can also be done later:
- Select the Register Hub card from the Main Menu of your hub:
- Press the "Continue" button on the Register Hub page:
- Create an account by entering the required details when prompted (or log in if you have already created an account; or if you are already logged in, you will automatically be registered and redirected back to the hub).
- Check the email address of the account you registered for the confirmation code after the registration e-mail has been sent, as shown below. The email sender is firstname.lastname@example.org. Check spam or junk folders if you cannot find the message:
- Enter the verification code from the email and press the Confirm Code button.
- You will again be redirected to the Hubitat Elevation Main Menu of your hub.
- Navigate to Settings > Hub Registration, then confirm your hub shows as registered with the correct account information.
- Use a different device to register (we recommend using a computer for the initial setup).
- Microsoft Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge browser (prior to the Chromium version) are not supported. Google Chrome is recommended for the best experience, but Firefox may also be used. If you experience issues with a supported browser, please try disabling third-party browser extensions.
- Make sure your device is connected to the the same network segment (i.e. the same IP subnet).
- Your computer or mobile device must be on the same Local Area Network as your hub in order to register. If your hub does not appear, ensure you have your hub and computer or mobile device connected to the same router and network.
- Make certain your devices are not isolated by a WiFi guest account.
- Reboot your ISP modem/router, or your stand-alone router.
- If your hub still doesn't appear, press the Advanced Discovery button to find hubs via mDNS, MAC address or LAN scan.
- Safely shut down from the settings menu or from the Hubitat Diagnostic Tool. When the light on the front of the hub is Red, power cycle your hub by unplugging it from AC power at the adapter for 30 seconds, before plugging it in again.